[WikiEN-l] Docs look to Wikipedia for condition info: Manhattan Research

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sun May 24 12:15:10 UTC 2009

> I notice that in several survey the information that most  physicians
> regret Wikipedia not having is information on standard dosage,
> information that we have made the policy decision to omit.
> I think this a particularly stupid decision. For current drugs, the
> information is standardized and available from the authoritative
> source--the official drug information. It's not a matter of
> unsupported opinion, it's pertinent, and the sources are impeccable.
> (Giving the variation in actual dosage used, or giving historical
> does, is another matter, though there are sometimes sources for that
> also). The general reason given is that WP is not a source of medical
> advice. No, but it is and should be a source of reliable medical
> information. The range of official usual dose is a fact, and can be
> reported.
>

> David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:DGG

I was not aware of that policy and am not sure what I think of it. But
let us explore the possibility that a doctor consults Wikipedia regarding
standard dosage and somehow (The Physician Desk Reference and the
formulations actually available at a pharmacy figure into this) manages
to prescribe a fatal or damaging dose. During his deposition in his
medical malpractice suit he testifies that he consulted Wikipedia
(Actually not likely even if he did due to the fact that judgment against
him becomes almost a dead certainty). Are we then a potential defendant?
Or is that so far fetched that we are denying useful information without
being at any particular risk.

Another scenario involves someone who a condition and is self-medicating
and buying drugs off the internet (or in a place where prescription drugs
may be obtained without prescription) and relies on our standard dosage
information. Information is grossly wrong and harm ensures, are we then
morally responsible or a potential defendant? Does this fall under do no
harm? If so, how is it different from any incorrect medical information.

Fred Bauder