[WikiEN-l] Workflow for music excerpts

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun May 24 10:59:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:
> PDF to image(s) is a nice idea, within limits. But for music the best way
> would be to use something like WikiTex (wikisophia.org), which turns
> Lilypond code via LaTeX into a rendered PNG of the music, along with a
> downloadable .mid file.

Sure, Lilypond is nice - but typesetting it is a lot more work than
simply screenshotting an existing PDF. And IMHO old publications (eg,
1902) look nicer than Lilypond...

Fwiw, the workflow I've ended up going with goes like this:
1. Load up the PDF for one opus (generally 2-3 compositions)
2. Screenshot 2-3 excerpts per piece
3. Upload all the screenshots, tweaking the contents of an info
template, rather than filling in fields
4. Stick all the screenshots in the relevant article.

In other words, batching each phase of the operation, rather than
doing the whole cycle for each excerpt. I've now done all the
nocturnes except the last two posthumous ones. Example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nocturnes_Op._9_(Chopin)

Steve