[WikiEN-l] someone after non-active admin accounts

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu May 21 14:07:47 UTC 2009

2009/5/21 Jay Litwyn <brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>:
> Nothing is to do here. Adminships, last time I checked, are already subject
> to a time-out under admins open to recall. I do not think it matters whether
> it's three months, twelve, or fifty months. If that's the length of your
> term, then it does not matter if you go into a coma due to a bad batch of
> homebrew: You're still an admin. The subject is whether it is ever proper to
> hand over accounts. Maybe it's proper to hand an account over to your wife
> or secretary; probably common practice. I think there are some
> organizational accounts around; they're clearly identified as such. I saw
> one that had a specific scope in botanical medicine.

The English Wikipedia has never had a policy of desysopping inactive
admins whether they are open to recall or not (which far from all
admins are). Adminship is for life unless the account is compromised,
you do something seriously wrong or you resign. I don't know if there
is a specific written policy against handing over account, but I doubt
the community would accept such an action, especially for an admin
account. It certainly isn't common practice. Role accounts are usually
banned on sight. They used to be allowed for certain things, but went
out of fashion years ago.