[WikiEN-l] Date conditional switching templates

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:16:48 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Luna <lunasantin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've whipped up a quick example at <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Luna_Santin/Dateswitch>, currently:
>
>   - {{dateswitch | text before date | text on or after date | date}}

:D

Nice, Luna Santin. I just tried it out briefly on the Wikimania article. I
tried to use:

"The upcoming [[Wikimania 2009]] {{User:Luna Santin/Dateswitch|will be held
on|was held on|August 26-28, 2009}} in [[Buenos Aires]], [[Argentina]]."

But this does not work, probably due to the hyphenated dating?

Trying to reformulate it as separate dating gave me:

The upcoming [[Wikimania 2009]] {{dateswitch|will begin on|began on|August
26, 2009}} and {{dateswitch|will run until|ran until|August 28, 2009}}, in
[[Buenos Aires]], [[Argentina]].

Not terrible, but presents the problem of redundancy, and putting the
compound dates before the location makes it read not smoothly. Working it
the other way presents another issue that "in [Buenos..]" must be replaced
with a tense verb. So a similar more generalized date-based switch that does
not show the date might work:

The upcoming [[Wikimania 2009]] {{tenseswitch|will be held|was held|August
28, 2009}} in [[Buenos Aires]], [[Argentina]], {{User:Luna
Santin/Dateswitch|will begin on|began on|August 26, 2009}} and {{User:Luna
Santin/Dateswitch|will run until|ran until|August 28, 2009}}.

Dunno though. One date-tense template has now led to two, and two might lede
to three, and then ninety, which would be unacceptable to some people.
Thoughts?

-SV