[WikiEN-l] [News Article] Wikipedia editors: Coverage of Israel 'problematic'

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Tue May 12 06:47:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM, K. Peachey <p858snake at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Full Article: http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1082777.html

It would be interesting if they did any research and published it, along
with any arguments they might have for why they think something should be
such. I'm not too impressed with the notion of sticking a label like
"Holocaust-denier" on anyone, just as I would advise against using any other
"denier" labels we might think of...

And the real point here is that someone like Mahmoud is not so much a
"denier" as he is an 'Iranian conservative Islamic theocrat politician' who
for merely geographic reasons alone, has to pander to the local anti-Israel
blame-game. Just as Israeli hawks do successfully with their own pet issues.
And moreover people aren't really ever "deniers" anyway, as much as they are
just "people who reject certain concepts, for certain reasons," and "people
who think and say really stupid things."

So anyway while the labels make for pleasant and efficient stigmanyms, they
ultimately only piss decent people off, and demonstrate a concept of
ill-will on the part of the labeller(s). And anyway it's more important to
just accurately quote the idiotic things certain people like Mahmoud and
others sometimes say, and let such speak for itself.

A label can be quite heated. And what more does one need to know but that
heat is not light.

-SV