[WikiEN-l] Neutrality enforcement: a proposal

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat May 9 00:25:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/5/9 Andrew Turvey <andrewrturvey at googlemail.com>:
>
> > I'd suggest for now creating a user template notice and a project of
> volunteers who could go around looking at editors contributions and putting
> this template on their pages if appropriate. Let's see the impact that has
> first, before we start banning people.
>

> *headdesk*
>
> Templating people who are editing problematically never works, ever.
>
> You can word the template however carefully you like (do we have any
> under 200 words?) but the message is:
>
> "You are doing something I don't like, this is a threat of blocking."
>
> Result: more sockpuppetry.

I think the results are better than 0%, but they're terrible.

When I spend a couple of minutes with an editor and topic specific writeup
asking someone to stop and explaining the policy, it seems to be much more
effective on average.

I also template people - but I leave a paragraph or two of custom note
nearly every time I template.  I template at the bottom so that other admins
who review can see "Oh, that's a uw-foobar-3, one more strike" rather than
having to figure their way through the note i left to determine how serious
it was etc.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com