[WikiEN-l] Slog rate

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:13:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok, how do you quantify that? You gave a numerical value for the slog
> rate, what is the formula for calculating it? And what's the slog
> rank?

I'm using "rank" here to refer to a level of deterioration within an
article, derived from a rating of particular diffs. What the scale is, what
the terms are, and what the method for combining diff rankings is, is
entirely fluid. I'm using "rate" here to refer to the degree to which
deterioration overtakes improvement within a particular timeframe. Its not
quite as useful, and probably can't be combined into some general sitewide
evaluation.

Certain articles get hit worse than others, because nobody notices them. So
article/concept importance factors into it, make slog on pokemon articles
less important than slog on science articles for example. Still, each of us
has seen slog in science articles, and can come up with several articles,
sections, statements which wev'e noted to ourselves to get around to doing
something about. And that too is also "slog;" cause I just don't have any
new terminology for it; the degree to which editors notice problems that
need fixing, but don't fix them or even mention them, for one reason or
another; lack of time, energy, out of scope of interest, or difficulty.

-SV