[WikiEN-l] Oh look, it's another "Wikipedia killer"

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:09:31 UTC 2009

I can't recall whether it's every few hours, days or weeks that human beings
destroy and remake a large part of our cellular anatomy. Point being that
theHindu culture has that bit right - creation and destruction are both
creative forces, and in many ways the same creative force. Its hard to say
where one stops and blends into the other.

Flagging up possible "Wiki Killers" is a bit pointless. Like any evolution,
we'll do what we do (which we hope will be largely productive but may not
always be) and it'll eventually evolve into something else, or we'll find we
ran ourselves to a dead end with nowhere to go, or something will happen to
change the rules of the game that we can't or don't adapt to adequately,and
we'll see this project die or evolve or become a niche. Like any highly
complex multi-factor open ended evolutionary process.

But the concept it embodies, of free worldwide knowledge... I think that one
won't die with it. And that's what users here by and large, are likely to be
more attached to. Wikipedia just happens at present to be a presently
dominant exemplar (in the cultural/landscape sense) of what is likely to be
an enduring meme.

FT2