[WikiEN-l] NYT on history of Encarta

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sat May 2 20:30:31 UTC 2009

In a message dated 5/2/2009 1:16:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com writes:

> It's entirely plausible to conceive of a world where
> wikipedia didn't exist and Encarta would be listed as the first hit
> when you searched for "James Clerk Maxwell", or whatever you were
> interested in. The reason that they're not is simply because Wikipedia
> is better.>>

I don't know if I buy the implication that the first hit is the one people
*like*.  Often on the first page of hits I will pick the second, third, or
fifth one, simply because I recognize it as a quality link.  Oftentimes the
first hit I recognize right away as something that going to be useless for
me.

Will