[WikiEN-l] NYT on history of Encarta

Oskar Sigvardsson oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com
Sat May 2 20:15:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/business/03digi.html?_r=1
>
> By Randall Stross. He blames Google, not Wikipedia, for Encarta's demise.

I completely disagree with him. Being at the top of Google's search
results is one of the major things that made Wikipedia as successful
as it is. It's entirely plausible to conceive of a world where
wikipedia didn't exist and Encarta would be listed as the first hit
when you searched for "James Clerk Maxwell", or whatever you were
interested in. The reason that they're not is simply because Wikipedia
is better.

(btw, that's a small insight into my subconcious; I was thinking "pick
a random historical person", and came up with "James Clerk Maxwell".
Don't know what that's about)

--Oskar