[WikiEN-l] Notability in Wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat May 2 01:26:27 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/4/27  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
>

>> I'm not saying that people should delete based on Google results in the
>> first place.  In fact I am the one who put that note on historical subjects
>> into the policy in the first place a few years back.  Subjects who are not
>> necessarily currently talked-up might have been quite the popular rage back in
>> 1920 or 1920 or 1420, and should not be deleted based on current Google
>> searches.
>>

> I must say, the blindness of some AFD participants to anything that
> happened before 1995 can be more than a little annoying ...

I haven't found this to be a big problem in practice, but maybe I've
been lucky? A handful of my edge-case biographies of 19th-century
individuals have been nominated for AfD, but all survived. One was a
translation from a famous 19th-century German encyclopedia (ADB), and
nobody could find a single post-1900 source on the man, but it was kept
nonetheless, with the justification that having once been included in
ADB is sufficient to automatically establish notability. A pleasantly
surprising result.

-Mark