[WikiEN-l] Microsoft kills Encarta

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:25:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:45 PM, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> You realise, someday the announcement will read:
>
> "Wikipedia has been a popular product around the world for many years.
> However, the category of traditional wiki encyclopedias and reference
> material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
> considerably different ways than in years past."
>
> Civilisation proceeds obsolescence by obsolescence....

I'm fine with that - it's inevitable, and so far as I can think, only has
three flavors-

   - Wikipedia subsumes into whatever may come in future,
   - Wikipedia becomes whatever may come in future (or specializes into some
   niche),
   - or Wikipedia is marginalized (and potentially killed off) by whatever
   may come in future.

FT2