[WikiEN-l] Microsoft kills Encarta

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 18:17:07 UTC 2009

<<In a message dated 3/31/2009 9:58:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
dgerard at gmail.com writes:

(In  image search, Google and all other search engines still suck.
Here's to  tagging coming to Commons.)>>
Somewhere in my hazy memory I remember two projects I'd read  about.
There was a guy or a bunch of guys maybe who were trying to teach a  computer
how to recognize "large expanses of flesh" so it could find nude  pictures I
suppose.

Then there was a human-tagging project where people ranked up points as  they
tagged images with whatever.  I'm not clear how it worked, and I  haven't
heard of it for some years.

There are some tasks that humans will always be better at than  machines.
That's probably why Google's image search sucks.  But if I  search for "Brad
Pitt Nude" I still get several decent hits anyway.

Will Johnson