[WikiEN-l] Microsoft kills Encarta

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 31 14:11:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>wrote:

>> Agreed. Though is it annoying when you see people working on things to
>> address this, and then see critics, who inspired some people, carry on
>> criticising the meta-processes, instead of supporting efforts made to
>> improve those meta-processes. Cynicism on your part, maybe, but please
>> don't infect people trying to change things.
>>
> There's change, and then there is the seeming of change. I don't think its
> cynical to oppose processes that appear to be helpful, but may actually set
> progress back. On the particular issue I assume you refer to, that Scott of
> all people opposes it should be a major cause for reflection on the part of
> those who support it.

You mean the poll? I've heard about that but haven't looked yet. That
wasn't what I was talking about. I wasn't talking about the ideas I've
been floating that aren't getting much attention because everyone is
probably taking part in the debate surround that poll. I'm also very
interested in the potential use of the new abuse filter to catch a lot
of BLP-related vandalism. But it is remarkably difficult to centralise
all this.

I'm not going to repost the links I posted a few days ago, but one of
them pointed to a list I made of a range of BLP-related pages that
should be centralised and brought together. One of the reasons for
inertia sometimes is splitting and spreading a debate too widely, and
you end up with people repeating the same arguments and suggestions in
different places.

Carcharoth