[WikiEN-l] Microsoft kills Encarta

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 23:15:33 UTC 2009

2009/3/30 doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com>:
> You realise, someday the announcement will read:
>
> "Wikipedia has been a popular product around the world for many years.
> However, the category of traditional wiki encyclopedias and reference
> material has changed. People today seek and consume information in
> considerably different ways than in years past."
>
> Civilisation proceeds obsolescence by obsolescence....

That would require whatever the replacement is to turn up before the
cost of hosting wikipedia becomes trivial and software agents that can
write the thing without human involvement have become widespread.

In fact if I had to put a guess on what will replace wikipedia is will
be made to order articles generated on the fly from a wide range of
sources by software.

--
geni