[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia isn't just a good idea - it's compulsory

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Sat Mar 28 01:02:22 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> Wikipedia is generally better referenced that most primary school
> textbooks I've seen. Presumably Wikipedia won't replace textbooks,
> children will, instead, be learning from multiple sources and being
> taught how to judge their reliability.

Yes, at its best, Wikipedia is better referenced. But the rest of the
Wikipedia promotional comparison does not follow.

Children's textbooks are not without referencing because evil
educationalists want to suppress other views, thus giving wikipedia a
new mission of liberating oppression. Children's textbooks are basic,
because that's where Children start. There are libraries - free to
Children - full of well referenced books.

However.
1) Most of Wikipedia is NOT written from multiple sources. Indeed some
of out better written articles are basically mono-authored and use the
author's preferred source.
2) The reason kids don't read the highly referenced works is not because
  "sources are evil" because they are often not written in a manner
accessible to children. Wikipedia here is no different. Many of out
bloated or complex featured articles are not simple and not particularly
child friendly.
3) Read the School textbook, you are less likely to be reading downright
  bullshit.