[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia isn't just a good idea - it's compulsory

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 28 00:24:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:

<snip>

> The idea of wikipedia anywhere near a school curriculum, except perhaps
> in a brief IT lesson, horrifies me. The idea of children using wikipedia
> to challenge the "official truth" of a qualified teacher with "but sir,
> it says on wikipedia", is laughable.

Presumably, they would actually go: "but sir, I read the Wikipedia
article, and while checking the sources provided there, I did some
background reading and research, and the history presented in those
other sources is different to what you are teaching us".

i.e. Hopefully this hypothetical kid would credit the source behind
Wikipedia, and credit Wikipedia only in-so-far as it provided an entry
point into reading about the topic.

Carcharoth