[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia isn't just a good idea - it's compulsory

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 23:02:24 UTC 2009

2009/3/25  <WJhonson at aol.com>:
> That response misses the point.
> This "Charity" operates as a black box, not only censoring but refusing to
> acknowledge that their acts are hidden,

No the ISPs know they are being given the list and external audits
have been carried out.

>unknowable

False. We know quite a bit about their actions.

> and possibly arbitrary.

Only insofar as the law is.

> We need this level of censorship?  No.  What this "charity" should do, is
> operate in an open manner with appropriate levels of communication with the
> public it claims to be serving.

It is serving ISPs. And there is quite a high level of communication
between it and the ISPs. It talks to the government time to time and
has dealings with the media (which for the most part isn't
interested).

> Big brother is not what we crave.  It's what we seek to destroy.  It's what
> we should all seek to destroy.

Err no we are looking to create an encyclopedia. Government
surveillance is a separate issue.

--
geni