[WikiEN-l] Plagiarism

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Tue Mar 24 20:21:15 UTC 2009

The problem with extending the use of square brackets to cover sarcasm,
tongue-in-cheek and incredulity is that square brackets traditionally mean "this
context is being added and was not previously present in the quoted text".
I.E. The Prime Minister stated, "Yesterday Mrs [George] Jones went to
Hampshire."  The editor of the top-most source is inserting "George" not to  convey
emotional meaning, but merely to convey contextual meaning within a  quoted
phrase.

Also, I believe the use of quotes to cover the cases I mentioned is already
present in materials.

In a message dated 3/24/2009 8:18:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,