[WikiEN-l] Plagiarism

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Tue Mar 24 15:16:06 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <WJhonson at aol.com>
To: <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:56 PM
Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Plagiarism

> Enquoted text can mean (in my book):
> 1. You are quoting verbatim some source; or
> 2. You are using an expression tongue-in-cheek or with implied sarcasm,
> hostility or a questioning stance (i.e. John and Pat are "good friends";
> Mr  Smith
> is in his "private compartment"; I appreciate your "delightful"
> conversation)
>
> Will Johnson
>
> p.s. Sometimes I have use "*" for this purpose and I've seen other's do it
> as well.  It's much easier than trying to underline or bold some  phrase.

I agree that number two is a use that people make of quotation marks. I even
pointed out to someone that they do not make emphasis. I think square
brackets work better for your second case, because newspapers use them to
correct grammar and insert context. Once you are doing that much, it is no
great leap to [interpreter], fully constructing sentences for Jean Chretien,
or paraphrasing a conclusion that does not come easily from legalese. Square
brackets are better, IMAO, and I guess I can not blame Churchill for missing
that, either.

Regarding *bold* and _underline_, I do not remember any semantics other than
emphasis.
_______
I deleted "Ninja Bell Ringer" from my ringtones, because it sounded much
darker than I intended in the first place. Good thing I recently listened to
Enya, because I can't seem to find what I was looking for on her disk, and
everything that is on it sounds a lot like what I was looking for.