[WikiEN-l] How to intone Wiki_Spangled_Banner

Jay Litwyn brewhaha at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Fri Mar 20 01:11:54 UTC 2009

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wiki_Spangled_Banner.ogg
In a-cappella ("instrument free") mode, I tend to rewrite tunes, too. I
think I hav heard Star Spangled Banner sung this way at the beginning and
the end. Could be my imajination. My middle is different from the usual,
especially "gallantly screening". I looked around for MIDIs. All three that
I found were more repetitive, and with a different beat than I remember. You
are welcome to match what I sing. Girls might hav trouble matching my Bayse
if they are Soprano. Mechanical experiments can be made if you make
something up.

Is no try. Do or do not.
--Yoda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Spoken_Wikipedia/Recording_guidelines
I missed the part about putting the license and the source in the recording.
If they aren't in the write-up, then I will put them there. One piece of
advice that I happily ignore is that if I mess up a take, then I start from
the beginning, with a reverse button. I did this one in about ten takes. I
will probably write it in terms familiar to me, just in case I want to spend
any time south of Calgary and memorize all three, now FOUR, verses. I should
put this verse as verse two, then sing them backwards, like I do with
O'Canada.

Under windows, there is a volume control, and typically there are different
controls for recording and playback, plus a selection of devices to record.
One way is to pick "Stereo Mixer". That might require a couple takes to get
the mix about equal. It has a noise disadvantage, and such recordings can
not be used to make real stereo separation. The other way is to pick "mic",
so that your recording is isolated from anything you might be listening to.
That allows me to synchronize, then mix later, which reminds me of something
I should be doing.

The lyrics are here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikipedia-spangled_banner