[WikiEN-l] community hierararchy of the Wikipedia graph

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:21:55 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Dmitry Lizorkin <lizorkin at ispras.ru> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We recently studied the properties of the English Wikipedia graph and
> observed that:
>  (1) the graph consists of dense subgraphs (socalled "graph communities")
> that are in turn less densely connected to each other;
>  (2) Wikipedia articles falling into the same community exhibit more
> semantic similarity to each other than randomly selected articles.
>
> Encouraged by the above observations, i computed the community hierarchy for
> the English Wikipedia:
> http://modis.ispras.ru/wikipedia/
> The hierarchy shows the grouping of similar Wikipedia articles into
> communities, based on purely Wikipedia link information, and reflects the
> link structure of the Wikipedia graph.
>
> In your opinion, could such data organization be helpful for navigation and
> finding related information in Wikipedia?
>
> Your feedback is welcome!
> Dmitry

Sounds like it could be used as an automated 'See also' generator -
one could write a bot that for each article, generates a list of 'top
10 related links', check to see whether they are all in the article
already, and add any missing ones into the See also section (or create
a new one).

Even more work would be on-the-fly generation of related links - so
it'd be akin to Everything2's soft links (a feature I miss dearly):
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Everything2#Soft_links

--
gwern