[WikiEN-l] Automatic death flagging?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:04:35 UTC 2009

2009/3/5 Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>:

> A month or two ago, someone wrote to OTRS asking if we had any way of
> displaying a list of people who'd just been listed as "dead" by
> Wikipedia. It strikes me that this is quite an interesting idea - on
> the one hand, there's some interest from reusers about a ticker of
> "recent obituaries", and on the other hand, it's useful for *us* so we
> can keep an eye on subtle vandalism and ensure we have cast-iron
> confirmation of any reported death... it being, of course, quite
> embarrasing to report someone's dead when they aren't.

For confirmed recent deaths: {{Recent death}} is routinely put on
confirmed recent deaths. No time expiry, but the doc notes "The
template should be removed once editing has been resumed to a normal
level."

Would I be right in guessing that vandalism usually just adds claims
of a death and doesn't add the template or remove [[Category:Living
people]]?

- d.