[WikiEN-l] BBC article on vandalism

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Fri Mar 6 11:26:10 UTC 2009

2009/3/6 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:

> Getty have quite a lot of Jimmy pics. I like this one:
>
> Image number: 81165277
>
> Can't work out how to link to it, but the caption says (only quoting first bit):
>
> "SHARM EL-SHEIKH, EGYPT- MAY 20: Jimmy Wales, founder and chair
> emritus of Wikia, USA, looks on during the closing session of the
> World Economic Forum on the Middle East..."
>
> [Have they confused Wikipedia and Wikia?]
>
> And he's in profile, holding a pen.
>
> Of course, it's easier to reuse the picture you have on file already.

I would assume that one doesn't get picked up because they're getting
the hideous one via a keyword search for "Wikipedia"...

On a tenuously related note, from the article:

"As a result, the edits to Mr Brown's page tend to be restricted to
minor factual or style points or the ongoing search for a more
flattering picture."

I was delighted, the other day, to note we appear to have managed the
unthinkable and *found* a pleasant-looking picture of Brown, rather
than one where he's glowering or grimacing or staring blankly into
space...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk