[WikiEN-l] History started in 1995

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 18:01:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> That gives me an idea. Some users live in rural areas far away from
> large book repositories, with little capacity to check off-line
> resources, while other users live in metropolitan centres with dozens
> of vast libraries a bus ride away.
>
> Is there a page on Wikipedia where one user (a rural user, let's
> presume), can ask for an offline reference to be checked ("can you
> check this page of this book for this statement/fact")? If not, might
> it be a useful service to offer?
>
> I, for example, live in London and have easy access to a number of
> large university libraries and the British Library (if the resource is
> especially obscure). It would also be possible to scan in the relevant
> page of a PD/uncopyrighted book, as proof of the reference, for
> example.

One could host their own "fair use" version of wikisource. This would
be at their own legal peril of course. Make it clear that you're not
affiliated with wikipedia, in fact don't even use the word "wiki". How
about "BookTube", is that taken, hmm...

Google Books has been incredibly useful for me but it does not take
submissions or requests.

—C.W.