[WikiEN-l] History started in 1995

Carcharoth carcharothwp at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 5 01:48:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Phil Nash <pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Oldak Quill wrote:

>>> That gives me an idea. Some users live in rural areas far away from
>>> large book repositories, with little capacity to check off-line
>>> resources, while other users live in metropolitan centres with dozens
>>> of vast libraries a bus ride away.
>
> To my eternal regret, I watched my local news programme the other night, to
> find that a book warehouse in Bristol had closed down and rather than skip
> or burn its contents, the public had been invited to come along and help
> themselves. If I'd been aware of it, I would have been there, because it
> appears that about 250,000 books were available. By  the time the TV crew
> got there, there was very little left. Shame. There should be a way of
> finding out about these things, and perhaps some sort of "give us your old
> books" drive would be worth trying.

I picked up a couple of big biographies while rummaging through some
charity shops. They now sit on a bookshelf making me feel guilty that
I haven't done anything with them. I got as far as checking one
Wikipedia article and finding that it was heavily referenced to the
book I had, which made some sort of sense, but as for actually
comparing the refs and article content to the book itself, that taks
defeated me. But it is a task that both needs doing and there needs to
be a way to record that x number of people have checked any particular
reference and agreed with it, regardless of whether it is offline or
online.

Carcharoth