[WikiEN-l] A proposal to de-table Wikipedia infoboxes

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:22:13 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>:

> Youch, that's messy in IE7. Lovely though it may be, that 30-50% of
> our audience would not be happy...

Indeed. I emailed Hakon Lie inviting his participation, but noting
that dropping even IE6, lovely as that would be, is not a happener in
the foreseeable future. We can't presume a world with non-broken
graphical browsers. So any CSSing would be required to allow for this,
and degrade well in pure text form.

It's a goal well worth trying for. The question is how to get there
and if we really can make the markup actually smaller and less
confusing.

> On another note, wow. I hadn't realised how much stuff was in our
> infoboxes. The five lines of government I can understand, the two GDPs
> ditto, but do we really need a quick-reference for "proportion of area
> which is water", the Gini coefficient, or the side of the road it
> uses?

Why not? It's incredibly templatable and it's probably of use to *someone*.

- d.