[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:23:39 UTC 2009

> George wrote:

> My hopefully enlightened perspective is that the rise of middle
> eastern based honest modern newsgathering will be a major part of the
> ultimate enlightened modernistic muslim refutation of the reactionary
> islamic terrorists.  I think Al Jazeera's staff see themselves that
> way and I hope and think that they're right.

The first thing that Muslim world news orgs would have to do in that regard
is to stop calling terrorists "jihadis" or "jihadist organizations."  Both
Muslim and Western world sources use "jihad" incorrectly in reference to
Islamic terrorism:

1) In Muslim context, the word "jihad" has positive meaning.The word
"muharib" or "hirabis" on the other hand connote barbarianism, piracy,
vandalism, and uncleanliness (spiritual) etc. (AIUI).

2) The West in fact uses "jihad" in an ironic way -- to highlight
Muslim-world conventional usage of the term as being supportive and even
praising of murder.

Hence there is a sort of a dualistic game going on wherein both sides are
abusive of the terminology.

-Stevertigo