[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 30 17:39:23 UTC 2009

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Sage Ross wrote:
>
>> It would raise his profile, indicate that Western media had taken
>> notice of the kidnapping, and therefore raise his value to the
>> kidnappers (either his value as a negotiating chip or his symbolic
>> value if executed).
>>
> I don't buy this thinking. This is the sort of wooly-headed stuff that
> has us throwing billions down the black hole of Homeland Security &
> taking off our shoes at airports. 'security experts' will say
> anything; I don't trust them unless they're Bruce Schneier.

Fear is one of the great motivators, and those (motivated by the other
great motivator, greed) making big money out of Homeland Security know
it.  I doubt that their antics would stand up to any kind of
cost/benefit analysis.  Smaller amounts spent in other areas would be
far more effective at saving more lives.

Ec