[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 05:35:35 UTC 2009

subsequently had the chance to explain how careless coverage endangered his
life.

In late 2001 Canadian journalist Ken Hechtman was in Afghanistan when the
United States invaded, and was arrested as a suspected spy.  Here's the
situation he faced.

"Before the trial begins, the judge tells me to pick a name out of his hat.
"What does he win?" I asked, indicating the big, black-turbaned Talib with
the shit-eating grin. "He gets to shoot you, just as soon as we finish this
formality of a trial. Okay, let's get started!" Ya gotta love these guys and
their wacky black humour! Did I mention that my translator, a doctor from
the Malaysian refugee camp where I'd started the day, was convinced I was
guilty and never missed an opportunity to tell me or the judge so?"

Afterward they actually aimed a rifle at him and pulled the trigger, in an
effort to get him to talk.  They didn't tell him the clip was empty.

Just about at the point where he thought he was persuading the authorities
that he really wasn't a spy, the news of his situation spread through the
Canadian and international press.  Journal de Montréal published a fact that
put his life right back in danger: he was Jewish.  The Taliban had Internet
connections; they picked up on that.

It wasn't possible for him to publish those circumstances in a reliable
source until after his release.

http://www.montrealmirror.com/ARCHIVES/2001/120601/news8.html

-Lise

http://durova.blogspot.com/