[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 02:25:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM, George Herbert<george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> The balance we're using is working for our public reputation among
> readers, the media, media critics and internet critics, policymakers.
> In this particular case, the controversy seems limited to our own
> internal review.

That's not the case.  See:
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/8wnzh/jimmy_wales_cooperated_with_the_new_york_times_to/
(150+ comments on reddit)
http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/06/29/was-wikipedia-correct-to-censor-news-of-david-rohdes-capture/
(Christian Science Monitor blog suggests that what is ethical for a
traditional news organization may not be for Wikipedia)
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/06/29/the-nytimes-wikipedia-whitewash/
(Michelle Malkin links this to the whole 'liberal media' meme: "Would
Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales have done this for Fox News or the
Washington Times? ")

-Sage