[WikiEN-l] News agencies are not RSs

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 20:34:53 UTC 2009

Wikipedia as an outlet devolves control over information "to the people" -
that is, people outside of hierarchical organizations where control and
responsibility for information is assigned by some measure of merit.

In 99.99% of cases this works out quite well; in the others, as we can see
just from this thread, laudable goals (saving a life in imminent danger)
would be discarded by those who see the world in absolutes and abhor
compromise. It's a drawback we'll be grappling with for the entire lifespan
of this project, I'm sure, and while we got it right in this case... In at
least some instances, we can expect that views like those held by WJohnson
and geni will prevail.

Nathan