[WikiEN-l] Dispute resolution mailing list

stevertigo stvrtg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 17:50:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> I don't support any proposal for a new mailing list for
> dispute resolution. However, I won't object to one for discussion
> *about* DR (that's the difference between consensus and unaminity -
> for consensus you just need people to not object, for unanimity you
> need their support). I do object to a mailing list where DR is
> actually intended to happen.

"dres-l" (see note at bottom) will at first deal with overall  dispute
resolution issues, and if specific things come up, we can point them in the
right direction on the wiki. We of course do not want to say that things
that should be dealt at Arbcom would be handled on dren-l

I understand you are under some impression that a "dres-l" list would
somehow be compromised if it dealt with specific issues. Think of it this
way: Someone in a dispute on Talk:Peace about the Peace article lead could
email the list (through a simple on-wiki interface, by the way), and say
"I've got a problem" -- dres listers could simply point them to a specific
page on Wiki, or even (gasp) help them get things done on the page itself.
Maybe even helping to resolve the conflict (less work for Arbcom), or
helping disputants file a compliant to formal DRR.

Keep in mind that while it makes sense to diversify certain processes
(cleanup, VFD/AFD, etc.) it also makes sense to integrate those things which
are too divergent and need a kind re-integration. For example, I put
together the WP:DRR page (now "Dispute resolution requests) to give people
an interface to all of the various dispute resolution processes. Its still a
mess for the simple reason that 1) each "dispute resolution" process has its
own unique rules, and submitting forms, helper templates, etc., and 2) some
of them are essentially useless: "Negotiation", (huh?) "Talk pages" (eh?),
Mediation Cabal (GMAB),  "Wikiquette" (WTF?). And note that ANI isn't even
on there. ANI is now perhaps the most central DR hub on the wiki, and its
not even considered as part of DR. "Integration" is the relevant concept.
Does anyone disagree that certain things along the lines of "integration"
would be good for DR?

So, things need to be done to DR. The valves are knocking, the timing is
off, and the temperature guage is spiking.

-Stevertigo

Note: Why not make it a general "dres-l" and let all language wikis submit?