[WikiEN-l] Dispute resolution mailing list

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 27 21:36:56 UTC 2009

AGK wrote:
> Let's be proactive - rather than bicker and debate endlessly (in
> the exhaustive yet courteous manner that only Wikipedians are able to).

You know, it doesn't actually help people to be thoughtful to label
discussion "bickering" because some comments are negative.

I happen to disagree strongly with Stevertigo's comment that "the
customer is always" right in relation to dispute resolution. If that
were true, terms like "wikilawyer" and "vexatious litigant" would be
redundant in our context. And they are not.  Anyone who really advocates
for the opening of another front in dispute resolution had better take
into account the way our mechanisms become, for some of our "customers",
mere instruments or means to their ends. The point is not to be
"proactive" for the sake of activity, but to forward the mission. Just
wait until DR-en is subject to a barrage of "evidence" not admissible in
onsite terms, but said to be crucial to someone's view of matters.

Charles