[WikiEN-l] Dispute resolution mailing list

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 27 16:56:56 UTC 2009

Fred Bauder wrote:

>>> My understanding is that the list would not be a forum for dispute
>>> resolution, but rather a forum for discussion of dispute resolution
>>> (and of
>>> ongoing disputes on enwiki) - and so the problems posed by only one
>>> party to
>>> a disagreement subscribing wouldn't be a hinderance to operations on
>>> the
>>> list.
>>>

>> No, but don't you think it might be a hindrance to getting the dispute
>> resolved? Which precise problem are we trying to solve here?
>>
>> Charles
>>

> The idea is to have a mailing list for the general membership to discuss
> dispute resolution, including information about ongoing controversies.
> This sort of discussion already occurs on the functionaries and the
> arbitrators list. This list would not have a restricted membership.

I see Risker has already asked for a definition of the purpose of such a
list. My feeling so far is that this is all rather [[Blind men and an
elephant]]: different people come up with different aspects of dispute
resolution they think could usefully be discussed on a list.  Such as
BLP (Fred) or any other policy matters,  or overview of current activity
(the Signpost already does this for Arbitration). You would undoubtedly
get advocacy; would you not get canvassing?  Discussion of intractable
edit wars? What is and is not pseudoscience? Second-guessing appeals and
clarifications? Speculation about matters in mediation? If it descends
to "X is a disruptive editor so something should be done" one can expect
some fairly primitive knockabout.

In my view, the problem needing a solution is to get people with an
onsite dispute to use the lower tiers of dispute resolution correctly.

Charles