[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 20:29:13 UTC 2009

"This file says its in the public domain."

Yes Joe but.
Durova's point, with which I agree, is that they improperly cited their source.
They lifted the picture *from* Wikipedia, and then cited the underlying source.
This normally implies "I actually went to the source and viewed the image directly there."
Which Durova has shown they did not.
In scholarship that is considered a no-no.? You must cite the source *YOU* actually used, not the source your source used.

Will Johnson