[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 17:25:10 UTC 2009

There's an importance to this which needs to be communicated better, and
quickly.  Most of the world's image archives are not openly accessible.  As
some of them open their doors, Flickr is competing with Commons to become
the primary point of deposit.  We risk a situation where WMF loses out on
valuable institutional relationships and our volunteers glean the crumbs
from a commercial site.

One of the arguments in favor of Wikimedia Commons is that we have a team of
volunteers who restore historic material.  There's a chance for the donating
archive to get highlights from its collection designated as featured
pictures, which run on the main page.

The fact that our restorations get reproduced in Time Magazine, in Wired,
and elsewhere ought to be strengthening that argument.  Credibility requires
credit.  We are competing against a well funded commercial enterprise for
large institutional donations; we need every advantage we can muster.

-Durova

http://durova.blogspot.com/