[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

Joseph Reagle reagle at mit.edu
Thu Jun 25 17:13:27 UTC 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Charles Matthews wrote:
> [[TinyURL]], I would say. Do we take this into account in any advice
> "how to cite Wikipedia"?

I would not make my references dependent upon a commercial service. (It's fine for Twitter in the short term, but what happens when they go under and now all those URLs point to porn?) However, institutions should give thought to their URI architecture, including stability, terseness, etc. The ACM provides a relatively short URL for everything it publishes, and there are other DOI services.