[WikiEN-l] NY Times: Wired Editor Apologizes for Copying from Wikipedia in New Book

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 09:27:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Durova<nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:
> Any suggestions what to do about this?

After my recent perusals of reuses of my images, here's my take:

No one is ever going to pay attention to, let alone understand, let
alone respect, let alone follow the CC-BY or GFDL requirement for
credit. Soon, we will stop asking for it.

In order for it to happen, we would have to:
a) Make the requirement really really prominent
b) Respect it ourselves
c) Vehemently complain in a very public manner when a few individuals
fail to do so.

when d) we have far bigger fish to fry.

I think ultimately most organisations divide media into two
categories: properietary or free. We can certainly label all our
material as proprietary and tell people not to reuse it. Or we can
tell people they can reuse it. But our message of "please reuse it,
but ...." is not going to get through.

And why do you care anyway? Vanity? Curiosity? Is it that important?
Is a little piece of text on some idiot's webpage the difference
between you contributing your time next time and not? Is the
gratification of your name in cyberspace your primary motivation for
producing useful free images?

(These questions are rhetorical and deliberately inflammatory. Take
the bait with caution.)

Steve