[WikiEN-l] Google Starts Including Wikipedia on Its News Site

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:17:15 UTC 2009

2009/6/22 Charles Matthews <charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com>:

> DG, lighten up on Noam Cohen a bit - he seems more disposed to be fair
> to us than when I met him in Taipei in 2007, and seemed surprised that
> any Wikipedians were actually, like, serious.  His point was factual
> even if you may think it is misdirection.

I took it as a direct message of his employer's stance. It's 100%
indicative of the industry stance. Have you seen this *batshit insane*
bullshit? (forwarded to me by Mike Peel):

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=43823&c=1

"The Newspaper Licensing Agency has announced it is to begin
regulating its customers' use of hyperlinks to newspaper articles on
the web."

These people were trying to email me bills for WMUK to pay for the use
of newspaper links at all on Wikipedia. I told them to try the
Foundation.

- d.