[WikiEN-l] Google Starts Including Wikipedia on Its News Site

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:50:29 UTC 2009

2009/6/22 Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:

> Such awesome responsibility we have now...
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/technology/internet/22wiki.html
> This includes an explanation of why these links were seen only occasionally.

"So, in essence, many Wikipedia articles are another way that the work
of news publications is quickly condensed and reused without
compensation."

What the fuck. Is there a journalist in the last four years who hasn't
used Wikipedia as their handy universal backgrounder? I'm not seeing
donations to WMF from newspapers as "compensation." I'd expect Noam
Cohen to know better than such rubbish.

- d.