[WikiEN-l] US city requires Internet account passwords from employees

Siobhan Hansa helenseal at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 20:06:55 UTC 2009

Amory Meltzer wrote:
> I doubt it'll last.  The ACLU is correct on the page when they say "I
> liken it to them saying they want to look at your love letters and
> your family photos," it's just excessive.  It's also largely against
> the TOS for most of these sites.

It's also pretty dumb from a security perspective for them.  If they
give the impression that requesting account and password information on
official forms is reasonable they can hardly be surprised if their
employees give out access to their council systems in this manner.

Looks like a policy thoughtlessly adopted by people who haven't
considered the big-picture view of what they are asking for.

 From Wikipedia's perspective it's interesting but largely a non-event.
  The few people who have accounts and apply for jobs there who would
actually pass on their Wikipedia accounts must be very marginal.  Not
the biggest security concern I would think.  (Though if anyone notices a
bunch of accounts suddenly making positive and suspiciously similar
entries about Bozeman we'll know what their real plan is...)

Helen