[WikiEN-l] US city requires Internet account passwords from employees

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 16:25:23 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> "[The city] says it won't hold it against anyone for refusing to provide
> it."
>
> If it's not compulsory, I don't see a problem, as long as that fact is
> made clear to people. I don't see the point in asking if it isn't
> compulsory, though, unless they intend to trick people into thinking
> it is. Who would voluntarily give up that information?

I get the feeling it doesn't say "(This is optional, and we won't hold it
against you if you leave it blank.)" on the form. That's why the laws
against hiring discrimination don't simply empower job-seekers to refuse to
answer questions, but bar them from being asked at all (even with the caveat
that "I'm going to ask you if you're old or disabled, but you don't have to
tell me.").

~Nathan