[WikiEN-l] Hi there, everybody!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 10:32:13 UTC 2009

2009/6/18 Emily Monroe <bluecaliocean at me.com>:

> I'm known as "I dream of horses" on Wikipedia. My real name is Emily,
> but a lot of people call me Em for short. I am 19 years old. I like
> music, particularly rock, and instrumental music. I also like to
> exercise, and to fidget. I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian.
> I am in the uncategorized and stub sorting wikiproject. i have also
> recent changes and new pages patrolled. However, I am becoming more
> interested in the "social" aspect of wikipedia, which is why I joined
> the list!
> Would anyone like to introduce themselves? Is there any kind of
> "mailing list etiquette" I should be aware of?

The idea is "we're here to write an encyclopedia;" anything broadly
related to Wikipedia and stuff relating to it is probably on-topic. If
it'd be of interest to a bunch of encyclopedia nerds, it's probably
relevant.

Civility and politeness is the rule. Some fail at this, we encourage
them to do better.

(Those who are particularly offensive, nonsensical or persistently
irrelevant may end up moderated - they are not blocked from the list,
but their messages are checked before forwarding to the list.)

Important decisions about stuff concerning Wikipedia are made on the
wiki. But there's a lot of Wikipedia old hands on this list, and it's
a good place to discuss ideas and current matters of concern.

If you're interested in why people got into Wikipedia, a thread about
this started just a few days ago:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2009-June/thread.html#101189

- d.