[WikiEN-l] I love SEOs

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:40:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM, James Farrar<james.farrar at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like the way they say "Comments on this entry are closed." Are they scared
> of something? ;)

Heh. He noticed that.

The image I get is a guy who's annoyed at this giant bullant's nest.
All the bullants are beavering away, working on their nest. He
discovers that he can destroy little bits of it by poking sticks down
it. It's so much fun, he tells his buddies to come over, and crush
some of the little ants. Sure...but the ants are still going to win.
And you're the one who looks like a tard.

He does raise an interesting point with his CNN bigfoot myth example.
But he's implying that all "verifiable sources" are equal, which
they're clearly not. Imagine hypothetically that there was no article
on Bigfoot, and someone created one, citing this supposed CNN article
saying it existed. Definitely in line with Wikipedia policy. But then
someone would probably come along, with much more authoritative
sources, saying that Bigfoot didn't exist, and that the article was a
fake. Common sense dictates that the now discredited article is not
used as a source anymore.

Seems like a lot of effort to spread a small amount of misinformation
for a while.

Steve