[WikiEN-l] Ramifications to wikipedians of unmasking of policeblogger?

Phil Nash pn007a2145 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 14:05:34 UTC 2009

AGK wrote:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8103132.stm
>>
>> One wonders what ramifications the High Court's decision in the
>> "Night Jack" case has for UK wikipedians. Should we approach
>> pseudonymous editing with a different perspective, now that the
>> court has confirmed itself as unwilling to uphold the anonymity of
>> online contributors?
>>
>> AGK

I would think not, since it seems a major influence on the judge's decision
was consideration of the public interest; I would think it very rarely in
the "public interest" for a Wikipedian's actual name to become public. There
are also different considerations in that a serving police officer is liable
for disciplinary sanctions, whereas I cannot necessarily see that applying
to WP editors.