[WikiEN-l] What sparked your interest in Wikipedia? (was Google thinks Wikipedia is a news source)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 04:35:45 UTC 2009

David Gerard wrote:
> 2009/6/15 Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>:
>

>> And then I ask what sparked other people's interests in Wikipedia, and
>> a really long thread results.
>>

> My wife suggested in late 2003 I look something up on "Wikipedia." I
> started off in a quiet and noncontroversial manner, first editing
> stuff about neo-Nazis then editing stuff about Scientology. A few days
> later I posted to my blog "New form of online crack discovered."
>
> (Subject: line changed accordingly)

I posted some silly posting on one of the science fiction
related Usenet groups, where I was fumbling for what
the fourth spirit of the ancient alchemists was, and
Steve Glover (bless him) supplied the fact that it was
arsenic, and linked to the wikipedia article on [[Rhazes]].

Next thing I knew, I was adding in the fact that [[Edward Kelley]]
died while being imprisoned by Rudolph. A fact which has subsequently
been somewhat amended, to no loss.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen