[WikiEN-l] What sparked your interest in Wikipedia? (was Google thinks Wikipedia is a news source)

Al Tally majorly.wiki at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 15 22:25:41 UTC 2009

I knew about Wikipedia for ages, but had no idea you could actually edit it.
Then in April 2006, a friend of mine showed me a page they created on
Uncyclopedia. And I thought to myself - I can make a better page! So I did,
and was rather sad that I didn't create an account beforehand, so I could be
credited with it. The page has long since been deleted.

Moving on, I joined Wikipedia in June 2006 - remembering Uncyclopedia, I
noticed there were some people missing from the list of left-handed people
page. So I created my account, and using my Schott's Miscellany, I added
three people. Using the minor edit button, and perfect wiki-markup! But I
did not cite my source and I had not mastered the edit summary yet.

What really sucked me in was editing Big Brother articles - these introduced
me to talk pages, wikiprojects, admins, AFD, RFA... pretty much everything I
know about Wikipedia stems from those early days on the Big Brother
articles. Ah, the memories.

--
Alex
(User:Majorly)