[WikiEN-l] Google thinks Wikipedia is a news source

Sage Ross ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 19:30:15 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Andrew
Turvey<andrewrturvey at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Just seen my first Wikinews link from Google news. Uploaded it to:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/24667756@N04/3626171622/

Wikinews has been included in Google News listings for a while now,
since shortly after Stable Revisions went into operation.

> I also saw a google news link from the main "World" news linking to an article I'd created less than 24 hours previously - Harith al-Obeidi. Makes you wonder - what kind of criteria are they using? I'm extremely flattered, of course, but I wonder if they do a manual look through the article before deciding whether to link.

Inclusion of Wikipedia articles in Google News appears to be based on
a) having been created recently, and b) having as its title a term
that is part of the core topic of a collection of articles that Google
News determines to be related.

Also, it looks like Wikipedia links have been rolled out to more
(all?) Google users.  A few days ago, I wasn't getting the Wikipedia
link yet; now I am.  Does anyone NOT get links to Wikipedia articles
now? http://www.google.com/news?pz=1&topic=w&ict=ln

-Sage (User:Ragesoss)