[WikiEN-l] GDFL compliance

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Fri Jun 12 21:02:14 UTC 2009

On 12 Jun 2009, at 11:13, Sam Korn wrote:
> Right.  I certainly agree that it would be better to name the author.
>
> But when articles are reused, they generally link to the Wikipedia
> article without giving a list of usernames; I don't see why that
> would be different for images.

Images are generally the work of one, or a few people, whereas
Wikipedia articles are the work of many.

In the case of the images that I've taken myself and uploaded to
Commons (CC-BY-SA license), pretty much the only thing I'm after for
myself is attribution. I believe that's a standard stance amongst
photographers that aren't also after money as a matter of routine.
I'm not sure whether I'd go through all the trouble of uploading
images to Commons/Wikipedia were that not the case.

TBH, I think giving a list of usernames/authors of Wikipedia articles
when they're reused would be best, but due to the number of authors
that's more often than not impractical.

Mike